Petroleum Geology Certificate
The 13-15 credit hour Petroleum Geology Certificate will provide undergraduate and graduate students with a competitive advantage in beginning a career in the oil and gas industry or pursuing entrance into a graduate degree program within the field of petroleum geoscience. The certificate is designed to enhance both critical thinking and the technical skills necessary for practicing petroleum geoscience.
Note: At this time certificates are not offered online–they are strictly in-person.
- 12-14 required credit hours
- Maximum of 50% overlap with degree program (i.e. major, minor, other certificate, or GE)
- Minimum C- for course to be listed on certificate
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for certificate (3.0 for graduate students)
- X193 credits not permitted
- If the certificate is not complete on the DAR, the student must consult with the College of Arts and Sciences Coordinating Advisor
- The certificate program form must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor
- Once the certificate program is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by the College of Arts and Sciences Coordinating Advisor
- Required core courses (7 credits):
- EARTHSC 5661: Petroleum Geology (4)
- EARTHSC 5189.01: Field Geology I (3) Summer term**
- Elective courses (6-8 credits): In addition, students will select two more courses (6-8 credits) listed below.
- EARTHSC 5189.02: Field Geology II (3) Summer term
- EARTHSC 4560: Applied Geophysics (3)
- EARTHSC 5687: Borehole Geophysics (3)
- EARTHSC 5751: Quantitative Reservoir Modeling (4)
- EARTHSC 5780: Reflection Seismology (4)
**Students with prior comparable field geology coursework may substitute an additional elective in place of EARTHSC 5189.01.
Coordinating Advisor (Earth Sciences): Professor Ashley Griffith, 381 Mendenhall Laboratory, Columbus, OH 43210; firstname.lastname@example.org.
School of Earth Sciences undergraduate advisor: Dr. Karen Royce, email@example.com, 614-292-6961