The following principles are designed to ensure that the work environment in the OSU School of Earth Sciences meets the highest standard of professionalism and is one in which all members (faculty, staff, and students) feel welcome and respected.
These principles apply to personnel regardless of location: on campus, at conferences, in the field, etc.
- Be courteous in your interactions
- Be respectful of other peoples’ opinions
- Respect the professional, physical, and personal boundaries of all members of SES
- Give members a chance to voice their thoughts (i.e., listen, try not to interrupt)
- Work to ensure that all members have equal access to professional and academic opportunities.
- Ensure that, when offered, criticism is constructive and aims to create positive discussion
- Avoid judging, discriminating, or making unwelcome jokes or disparaging remarks based on stereotypes
- Support those who report violations of departmental or university policy
Commit to openness:
- Be receptive to discussions of ways to improve the work environment and work relationships
- Challenge your own assumptions about people and the sources of those assumptions
- Take it upon yourself to establish equity for all persons. Consider the particular challenges or barriers to success that colleagues may face as members of under-represented groups
- Here, equity refers to giving people what they need to succeed, even if that differs from individual to individual. This is distinct from equality, which gives all individuals the same treatment regardless of their starting point
- Intervene when others are exhibiting conduct unbecoming of a community member
- Speak up when colleagues are disrespectful of a group or class of people (even when members of that group are not present)
- Seek and support opportunities for education and training on diversity, inclusivity, reporting, and bystander intervention techniques, and encourage others to do the same
- Acquaint yourself with university policy as set forth in OSU policy on sexual misconduct and codes of conduct